29.4.09

White Burgundy

Of all the wine regions in the world, Burgundy excites me the most. Massive reds and white characterize the region. Of late, one grape in particular has been the most intriguing - Chablis. Maligned in the US for it's jug wine history, chablis remains in my mind, one of the most interesting and exciting grapes available. There are three levels of Chablis available - first being the appellation controlee, or the base level. Prices for this type can usually be found under $20. Moving up the scale you have premier cru and then grand cru chablis. At its upper levels, chablis can reach the $70+/bottle range.

Tonight, I opened a bottle of 2007 Gilbert Picq Chablis. This falls within the appellation controlee level and cost $15.98. 100& chardonnay, this wine for me, beats many $30-$40 Napa Chards out there. Here are some tasting notes:

  • 2007 Gilbert Picq Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (4/29/2009)
    Light straw color. Nose is full of lemon peels and grapefruit laced with petrol. Very nice acidity with this wine. Full of lemons....just packed with them. Can see this going perfectly with big fish, scallops, or oysters. There is a nice brininess to this wine too, and the mouthfeel is quite nice. Finish is round and enjoyable. Might be a bit basic in some sense - really nice QPR wine though. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker



For those of you out there that don't think white wines can be serious wines, I urge you to look at white burgundies. Incredible wines.

5 comments:

sgoodwin said...

A few times you refer to Chablis as a grape. All Chablis wines are made from Chardonnay, no? Either way, I like your tasting notes. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Like your blog. I know nothing about wine except what my own tongue has stated. Since you are writing about whites, I just wanted to recommend the Franconian whites from the northern part of Bravaia Germany. These are by far the best white wines I've ever had and nothing has been over 12 dollars! thing is, I tend to only like very dry (trocken in German) whites. the german type that I recommend is Silvaner. Try to get your hands on a couple different types of these, but they'll be hard to find in the US. I might be able to get a couple shipped over?? Here's a wiki artilce on the topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia_(wine_region) contrada p.s. these german whites are nothing like the all-too-common rieslings

Ian Coyne said...

Yes, Chablis is the region, and often confused as the grape name. There are other AOC wines from the area made with other grapes(Sauvignon de St Bris, Irancy), but Chardonnay is the only grapes of AOC Chablis wines. Nice blog and really nice tasting notes.

Matthew said...

apologize for the confusion - yes, chablis is a region and not a grape. Ian is right, chablis are chardonnay. My fault for not being more specific in my notes.

Anonymous said...

$15.98 for this wine is ridiculously cheap. Most places I know charge around $20 for it. It's a more realistic price to be found for a wine of this quality.