30.4.09

2009 DC Wine Bar Review

I enjoy visiting wine bars. I will be beginning an all encompassing review of the wine bars of DC over the next couple of weeks. There are many many bars in DC that serve wine, so I will be trying to focus on bars that have an increased focus on their wine program. If you have suggestions of places for me to check out (in DC/NoVa/Maryland), please comment below. As of right now, I plan on visiting the following places:
1) Vinoteca
2) Veritas
3) Mendocino
4) Bistrot LePic
5) Enology
6) Dino
7) Bardeo
8) West End Bistro
9) Proof
I plan on grading each venue using a common scale (100 possible points):
1) Bottle Selection (1-20 scale)
2) Wines by the glass selection (1-20 scale)
3) Knowledge of staff (1-20 scale)
4) Ambiance (1-10 scale)
5) Price (1-20 scale)
6) Stemware (1-10 scale)
This should be fun.

5 comments:

J.C. said...

would also recommend Tallula restaurant - http://www.tallularestaurant.com/

Large wine bar with 65 by the glass selections.

Matthew said...

thanks JC

Brian J. said...

Does stemware really deserve to be worth 10% of the available total? The same as ambiance?

Matthew said...

I think stemware is an important factor to judge. Not only does it directly impact the nose and taste of many wines, but it also shows a certain level of dedication to wine from the bar/restaurant.

J.C. said...

Also, just saw this reviewed today in washingtonpost express - http://www.corkdc.com/menu.html#wine

Menu looks to have a solid selection.

Let me know when you start hitting these up. I will attend with you and provide my expert stemware opinions.